With over 35 years’ experience in the patent and trade mark profession in the UK and Australia, Roger is highly adept at managing large international IP portfolios in order to maximise the competitive advantage of all types of intellectual property.
Well-regarded for the provision of practical advice, Roger plays a pivotal role in helping his clients protect their IP and minimise potential problems arising from encroachment on their competitors’ IP. He is particularly experienced in patent and trade mark oppositions in Australia and Europe and valued by clients for the longevity of his professional relationships.
- Optical Devices
- Mechanical Engineering
- Security Printing
- Medical Devices
- Solar Energy
- Gaming Technology
- Automotive Engineering
- Trade marks
- Drafting and successful prosecution of patent applications for a wide variety of inventions in the mechanical, electrical and optical fields.
- Drafting a number of patents that have been maintained as valid by the European Patent Office despite oppositions and appeals by competitors.
- Protecting and managing a large patent and trade mark portfolio for an Australian client that has successfully exported its technology to over 25 countries.
- Successfully defending oppositions by two competitors against an Australian patent for a gaming machine communication system before the Australian Patent Office and on appeal to the Federal Court.
- Assisting European associates to achieve favourable outcomes in oppositions at the European Patent Office.
- Representing clients at patent opposition hearings at the Australian Patent Office to achieve successful outcomes.
- Negotiating settlement and licence agreements following oppositions by Australian clients against Australian patent applications of foreign owners.
- Conducting an audit of Intellectual Assets of an Australian client that has a large IP portfolio.
- Conducting an extensive competitor and technology analysis for an Australian client using patent landscaping technology.
- Presenting tutorials on patent drafting skills to junior and trainee attorneys.
- Lecturer at Monash University in European Patent Law.
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia & New Zealand)
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (UK)
Bachelor of Science (Physics) (Honours), University of Bristol
The Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), Ordinary
Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys UK (CIPA)
Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
European Community Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
Beyond the Desk
Roger is a keen follower of a wide-range of sports, particularly golf, cricket and all codes of football. In 2014, he achieved a long-held ambition by becoming a member of the Melbourne Cricket Club (after 18 years on the waitlist). He appreciates good food and wine and is fortunate that his partner is a qualified chef! Roger also likes to absorb himself in good novels and music, particularly 60’s to 80’s rock music.