Michael has a wide range of experience in Intellectual Property matters around the world, particularly brand protection and enforcement in Australia, New Zealand, and Japan (where he worked for a specialist IP firm for a number of years). He enjoys working with client’s to find creative, effective and efficient solutions to their IP issues.
- IP risk management and IP due diligence
- Commercial contracts including in relation to licence, supply, export, manufacturing, collaboration, research and development, branding and sponsorship
- Trade mark searches, clearance and prosecution
- Trade mark infringement, opposition, non-use, revocation, cancellation and rectification
- Co-existence and Settlement Agreements
- Trade mark portfolio management
- Parallel importation issues
- Domain name disputes
- Anti-counterfeiting and enforcement strategies
- Confidential information and trade secrets
Michael’s experience includes management and prosecution of local and international trade mark portfolios, advice and assistance in the enforcement of IP and more commercial IP matters including licensing, agreements, acquisitions and audits.
Bachelor of Applied Science (Computer Science), RMIT
Juris Doctor – JD, University of Melbourne
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, ANU
Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia & New Zealand)
Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
Beyond the Desk
Michael enjoys consuming media and popular culture in a wide variety of forms including streaming services, audio books, and physical books, in pretty much any fiction or non-fiction genre except horror along with playing a wide variety of video games.
Outside in the physical world, he enjoys taking photos and traveling with his wife around Australia and the world (though most often to Japan).