Dan is motivated, adaptable and thoughtful in his approach to best suit
his clients’ needs and utilises his skills and experience to obtain positive
Patent drafting is something that Dan excels at and he is particularly
adept at understanding an invention, drafting a specification and
claims which are differentiated over prior art. When prosecuting patent
applications, Dan reviews examination reports and prior art documents,
preparing responses which overcome objections raised, enabling his
clients’ patent applications to advance to grant, providing enforceable
Prior to his current position, Dan worked for nine years as a patent
searcher and analyst in the UK, then at Watermark. Through this
experience, Dan has developed a broad knowledge of different
technology fields and the ability to quickly adapt to new information.
This background has also provided Dan with the analytical skills to
provide detailed validity and freedom to operate opinions to his clients.
- Patent prosecution
- Patent drafting
- Designs prosecution
- Patent validity and infringement opinions
- AU and NZ Patent Law and Practice
- Medical devices
- Consumer products
- Manufacturing machinery
- Renewable energy technology
- Patent searching and analysis
- Patent statistics, landscape mapping and competitor intelligence
- Drafting a number of patent specifications which have proceeded to PCT and national application phases.
- Prosecuting Australian and New Zealand patent applications from filing through to grant.
- Working with overseas associates to prosecute patent applications in a number of jurisdictions for local clients.
- Working on a patent opposition before the Australian patent office and subsequent appeal to federal court.
- Working closely with clients to develop IP protection strategies.
- Dan has experienced a wide variety of work in all manner of fields of intellectual property including: filing and prosecuting patents, trade marks and designs, patent drafting and providing patent infringement and validity advice.
- Carrying out extensive searches on worldwide patent documents to assist clients in assessing their freedom to operate, validity of existing patents or patentability of new inventions.
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia & New Zealand)
Bachelor of Science (Physics), University of Reading, UK
Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
The Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys (IPTA)
Beyond the Desk
Outside of work Dan enjoys watching and participating in sports such as football, AFL, golf, cricket and tennis. He particularly enjoys the competitive nature of playing indoor football. On weekends, Dan relaxes by cycling around Melbourne’s cycle trails or playing a round of golf.