Richard has over 25 years’ experience advising clients on all aspects of IP. Commercially astute with a legal edge, Richard’s focus is on providing creative approaches to IP strategy aligned with business strategy.
Richard’s background in chemical engineering provides a platform to understanding the technical merits of innovation across a wide range of fields, but particularly in the fields of mineral and hydrocarbon resources and processing, both upstream and downstream, and in automotive technology. However, it is his reputation as a trusted and experienced business adviser that has seen him clock up an impressive track record acting for a range of clients from start-ups to large multinationals.
Richard has been published widely and he is a regular presenter of IP topics to corporate, university and professional services audiences in Australia and internationally.
- Patent and design strategy supporting business strategy in a range of industries including the energy, mining and automotive sectors.
- Patent drafting, oppositions and prosecutions across a range of industries with specialised expertise in the energy, mining and automotive sectors.
- Brand and trade mark strategy.
- IP dispute resolution through negotiation and legal processes in administrative and judicial forums in Australia and internationally, including Europe, India and Indonesia.
- Representing a multinational energy company’s patent and trade mark interests in Australia for over 20 years. Assignments successfully completed include patent and trade mark prosecutions and oppositions in the fields of polymer production, hydrocarbon processing, natural gas purification, oil refining and oil/gas exploration.
- Completion of numerous patent drafting, prosecution and opposition assignments in extractive metallurgy including biohydrometallurgy, nickel, copper, uranium and gold hydrometallurgy.
- Representing the IP interests of mining equipment suppliers including drilling equipment suppliers and a remote isolation system supplier.
- Successful completion of multiple IP assignments in water treatment and purification.
- Running IP assignments in renewable energy and innovative agricultural methods.
- Pursuing patent, trade mark and design strategies to promote the global interests of an Indian automotive manufacturer.
- Running patent drafting and prosecution for an innovative Australian developer of fuel injection systems.
- Patent drafting and prosecution for a new aviation technology.
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia & New Zealand)
Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical) (Honours), University of Queensland
Bachelor of Laws, Murdoch University
The Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), President
Board of Governors of Petroleum Club of WA
WA Mining Club
Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA_
Beyond the Desk
As a Committee Member of the Wine and Food Society of Victoria, Richard regularly indulges his interest in good food and wine. When time allows, Richard also enjoys travel, the focus of which has recently been on India and South East Asia.