Michelle assists clients in getting their innovations into the marketplace by securing and protecting their brands.
She believes in using the right word in its proper place and she enjoys helping clients secure and protect a chosen word that is particular to them, their product or service.
Michelle is a qualified lawyer and represents clients in contentious matters before the Trade Marks Office such as trade mark oppositions and non-use removal actions. She works with Watermark’s other lawyers on issues of commercialisation, licensing, exploitation, enforcement and litigation. By combining specialist expertise together with the broader Watermark team, Michelle helps clients build brand value.
- Clearance searches
- Opposition actions
- Non-use actions
- Infringement actions
- Misleading and deceptive conduct and passing off actions
- Brand strategy and trade mark protection and enforcement
- Negotiating and preparing trade mark agreements, including settlement agreements
- Brand portfolio management
- Successful prosecution of Australian trade mark applications, in particular, in the fields of food and beverages, building materials, gaming machines and character merchandising.
- Securing registration of non-traditional trade marks for clients, including registrations for single colour marks, product shape marks, aspects of packaging and sound marks.
- Assisting Australian businesses to secure registration rights in Australia and to expand their trade mark portfolios into growing markets overseas, especially in China and the United States.
- Representing Applicants in opposition proceedings before the Australian Trade Marks Office.
- Representing Defendants in non-use proceedings before the Federal Court of Australia.
Registered Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Australian National University
Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Australian National University
The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), Ordinary
International Trademark Association
Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
Beyond the Desk
When she’s not helping her clients build brand value, Michelle enjoys cinema, art and travel.