Mark is passionate about innovation. He thrives on connecting people and is highly regarded for his knowledge, counsel and skills as a mentor in both the public and private sectors.
His ongoing contribution to industry, state and local government, universities and emerging businesses is evidenced through his regular presentations and participation in IP professional industry groups including the Licensing Executive Society – Australia and New Zealand. For the past 10 years Mark has been an integral contributor to the prestigious WA Innovator of the Year Program and Awards both as an Advisory Committee member and judge, working alongside some of the State’s most influential and progressive individuals.
Clients value Mark’s integrity and his desire to fully understand their business. Highly adaptable, responsive and engaging, Mark is renowned for finding solutions and providing alternatives.
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Physics applications
- Marine engineering
- Rail industry
- Mining and drilling systems and procedures
- Med Tech and medical devices
- Transport technology
- Automotive technology
- Trade Marks and Industrial Designs
- Patent and trade mark portfolio strategy, prosecution and management for a client licensing automotive technology to overseas vehicle OEMs.
- Handling successful defences to a number of patent opposition matters, both local and overseas matters, for clients in the rail, mining, transport (bulk containers), food and pet food industries.
- Successful oppositions against overseas companies in trade mark dispute matters in USA and Europe.
- Development of IP policy documents for Australian companies to implement in-house.
- Working with overseas company head offices and local client offices in the mining and automotive industries to develop robust IP portfolios that fit within and work for their overall global company business strategies.
- Development of patent portfolios for clients across a range of industries that enhance the asset base of those companies to help attract investment, government grants and sustain core business strength.
- Assisting the innovation community in Australia through judging and chairing positions for the WA Innovator of the Year Awards over the past 10 years.
- Guest Lecturer for Edith Cowan University’s IP Law Course through the School of Law and Justice, Faculty of Business and Law.
- Previously held the position of patent examiner in the UK Patent Office, South Wales, covering a broad spectrum of mechanical and electrical technologies.
- Developed an extremely broad foundation of industrial experience in mechanical and electrical engineering, having worked in the railway industry in the UK as well as serving as a Marine Engineer in the Royal Navy.
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia & New Zealand)
Bachelor of Science (Interdisciplinary Physics) (Honours), University of East Anglia, UK
The Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys (IPTA), Fellow
LESANZ, WA Regional Committee Member and past National Treasurer (2011 – 2013)
Beyond the Desk
Mark’s commitment to education and engaging with industry extends beyond the desk through his active support of, and contribution to, the prestigious annual WA Innovator of the Year Program, his regular presentations and university lectures and his participation in industry and business partnering initiatives as a way to help connect people. On a more personal note, Mark enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, photography and travel.