James is passionate about innovation in software and ICT technologies.
His focus is on the development of patent portfolios for strategic competitive advantage and works with executives, managers, in-house attorneys and inventors to implement and manage IP strategies that complement business strategies. He has worked with universities, government research institutes, small and medium-sized enterprises to large multinational companies.
- ICT and software
- Augmented reality and virtual reality
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Cloud computing
- FinTech and blockchain technology
- Wearable technology
- IoT technology
- Medical devices
- 3D printing
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for ICT startups.
- Patent portfolio strategy, prosecution and management for large Australian medical device manufacturer.
- Development of IP policy documents for Australian companies to implement in-house.
- Working with Asian domiciled clients to implement global patent protection strategies.
- Development of patent portfolios for clients that enhance the asset base of those companies to help attract investment, Government grants and accelerate growth.
- Examiner for the Patent Agents Qualifying Examination in Singapore for the subject “Amendment of a Patent Specification” (2006).
- Member of Patents Committee of APAA Hong Kong Group (2009 to 2012).
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore)
Bachelor of Science (Computing Science), University of Technology, Sydney
Master of IP Law, University of Technology, Sydney
Master of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney
Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
Law Society of NSW
Licensing Executives Society (LESANZ)
Association of Singapore Patent Agents (ASPA)
Beyond the Desk
James enjoys meeting and interacting with early-stage startups and learning about their innovative value proposition.