Grant has first hand experience in successful invention, development and commercialisation processes with major global corporations and he enjoys working closely with clients to understand their technology and commercial aspirations.
According to Grant, ‘patents form an integral part of the underlying business strategy which should include a deep understanding of competitor activities’.
Drawing on his strong commercially oriented technical background, Grant is known for quickly getting to the crux of a problem, often raising questions which have not previously been considered.
- Organic chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Organometallic chemistry
- Chemical processes
- Catalysts and catalytic processes
- Polymer technology
- Biodegradable polymers
- Materials science
- Alternative energy
- Organic photovoltaics
- Medical devices
- Drafting patent applications in organic and inorganic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, chemical processes, catalysts and catalytic processes, polymer technology, biodegradable polymers, materials science, alternative energy, medical devices and organic photovoltaics.
- More than 10 years corporate experience in intellectual property, including patent portfolio management, technical patent valuation and competitive analysis.
- 20 years industrial technology experience with the Dow Chemical Company and BP Chemicals in Europe and the US.
- Five years academic research in the US and the UK in the fields of synthetic organometallic chemistry and catalysis.
- Experience in corporate and academic research environments, particularly in managing corporate/academic joint research projects.
- Inventor of 27 issued US patents.
- Author of over 30 peer-reviewed technical publications.
- Winner of the Dow Europe Scientist of the Year; the Dow Europe President’s Award; and the Dow US Gulf Coast Scientist Awards for excellence in science.
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
Bachelor of Science (Chemistry) (Honours), University of Strathclyde, UK
PhD (Chemistry), University of Strathclyde, UK
Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
Royal Australian Chemical Institute
Beyond the Desk
Outside of work, Grant is an enthusiastic collector of vinyl recordings, mainly British progressive rock and Indy pop. He also enjoys trying to reproduce the sounds on his Epiphone LP-100 – unfortunately, he admits, rather badly.