With a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology and six years as a postdoctoral research scientist under his belt, Chris transitioned to the world of IP and, in the process, quickly developed a passion for achieving successful commercial outcomes for his clients. Having gained expertise working with a wide range of clients, from SMEs to large multinationals, Chris has an intricate understanding of the complexities of commercialising inventions.
Chris helps clients navigate the intellectual property landscape that is relevant to their business, identifying new pathways to innovate which drives growth and sustainable competitive advantage.
As many clients have an interest in expanding their business to Asia, Chris leverages his expertise with Asian IP laws to provide valued strategic advice.
- Bacteriology and other infectious diseases
- Isolation, analysis and manipulation of DNA
- Molecular analysis of protein structure, expression and function, and protein-protein interactions
- Assessment of immune responses to pathogen infection and to vaccination
- Vaccine design and assessment in vitro and in vivo
- Drafting and prosecution of patents for both local and international clients and advising on infringement and Freedom to Operate matters, particularly in relation to life sciences (including DNA, microbiological, immunological, pharmaceutical and agricultural inventions) and food technology
- Using patent analytics to derive commercially beneficial outcomes for clients
- Managing patent opposition matters
- Local and foreign trade marks prosecution and local designs prosecution
- Inventor on US and European patents for two vaccine platform technologies
- Author listed in nine peer reviewed journal articles.
- In-depth understanding of molecular biology techniques, particularly recombinant DNA technologies
- Conducting vaccine safety and efficacy trials in small animal models
Registered Patent & Trade Marks Attorney (Australia)
Master of Law (Commercial), University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Science (Microbiology & Immunology) (Honours), University of Adelaide
PhD (Microbiology & Immunology), University of Adelaide
The Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys of Australia (IPTA), Ordinary
Beyond the Desk
During high school, Chris stumbled across the wonder of vinyl records and started building a collection. What started as a hobby, quickly developed into a DJing career which kept him busy during his university days and beyond. After 10 years as a DJ, Chris had built his own custom music production studio and amassed a collection of several thousand vinyl records. However, his passion for science saw him pursue a research career which eventually led him to Watermark. Today, Chris maintains an interest in music production and occasionally gives his vinyl records a spin.